Now With Universal Book Links...
What Is A Universal Book Link?
A Universal Book Link (UBL) provides a link to a singe web page that an author, publisher, or fan can share easily. Instead of linking to just one digital bookstore (or posting lots of links to lots of different stores and territories), an author can share one Universal Book Link, and a reader can follow it to reach the book on her favorite store.
Why Are UBLs Important?
There are a lot of bookstores available online, from Amazon and Barnes & Noble to smaller stores like Smashwords and iTunes.
Some of those stores are available in different countries under different website addresses. Amazon alone has AT LEAST ten different websites for its various markets.
This makes it extremely difficult for an author or publisher to provide links for everywhere their books might be available to readers. Just providing a link to the Amazon website in the USA does not allow readers in France to use the same link to buy from, without incurring international shipping fees (for physical books).
Note: I’ve already switched over to using UBLs on the book pages on this site, cutting my links from 5 to 1 for each book.
Books2Read is a reader-focused site developed by indie-publishing service Draft2Digital. They provide readers with access to book pages, where they can select online stores they want to buy from.
But, more than that, readers can select a preferred online store. When they do that, they will always be taken to that store instead of seeing the list of available stores.
- For example, I buy a lot of books through Amazon, because I get a lot of credit there from various sources.
- Another reader might opt not to pick their default store, because they are in the process of buying a new digital reader.
From an author point of view, the service is great, because you can give it a link to my book at one store, and it finds it at all the others that book is published at.
- Each book page includes the book blurb, the cover image, a link to the author’s page and a link to the store selection page.
- Each Author page includes an author image, bio and link to each book the author has provide a store link for.
Want To See How That Works For Books?
Here are the links to all my books.
- Click the image to see the book description page.
- Click the “Buy Now” Button to check out the available online stores